Dr. Timagenis is the founding and senior partner of Timagenis Law Firm. He received his Degree in Law (LL.B.) from the University of Athens, 1969 – First Class Honours; Degree in Economics and Political Sciences from the University of Athens, 1971; he has a Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) in Maritime Law and Law of the Sea from UCL, University of London 1972; and he is Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in the Law of the Sea from the University of London, 1979.
He practises before Greek Courts of all levels, he was admitted to Piraeus Bar in 1971 and was qualified to practise before the Supreme Court of Greece in 1981. His areas of practice are maritime law; corporate and litigation (including charter parties, carriage by sea, collision, salvage, sale and purchase, shipbuilding, marine insurance and marine environment); banking law and finance; general commercial law; environmental law; foreign investment; joint ventures, merger and acquisition; stock markets; civil litigation-dispute resolution, including international arbitration.
He provides strategic advice, counsels, and acts and has acted for many Greek and foreign banks & financial institutions, shipping companies, classification societies, mutual insurance associations (clubs), multinational corporations, international traders, shipyards, newspaper and media companies and businesses in many sectors of economy. He has handled over the years major shipping accidents and major mergers and acquisitions, acted as counsel and advocate to shipping clients with regard to their listing with US Stock Markets (IPOs) and follow-on equity offerings at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), NASDAQ and the American Exchange, acted as arbitrator in arbitrations of the Hellenic Chamber of Shipping and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
He has been rated over the years in a number of well known international publications, including the Chambers Global Guide to the Legal Profession and the European Legal 500, as one of the leading lawyers in his fields. See our page on Testimonials.
He is a member of the Piraeus Bar Association; the International Council of Environmental Law; President since 2013 of the Hellenic Society of Maritime Law; founding member and President since 2011 of the Hellenic Society of Maritime Lawyers. He is a member of the Panel of Maritime Arbitrators of the Hellenic Chamber of Shipping; the Executive Council of Comité Maritime International (CMI year 2000 to 2008); the British Institute of International and Comparative Law 1973-1990; and Chairman of the Board of Directors of NAT, the Seamen’s Pension Fund, between 1989-1995. He has been also member of the Legislative Committees for the reform of the Code of Civil Procedure and the Code of Private Maritime Law.
He has participated to many international Conferences at UN and IMO, including the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment (Stockholm 1972); Intergovernmental Conference on Dumping at Sea (London, 1972); Diplomatic Conference on the Protection of Marine Environment from Pollution from ships (London 1973); International Legal Conference on the Carriage of Passengers and their Luggage on Board Ships (Athens 1974); and the Third United Nation Conference on the Law of the Sea (Caracas – Geneva – New York 1974-1982) as member of the delegation of Greece and representative of the Greek Chamber of Shipping.
Gregory Timagenis was a lecturer in Civil Litigation at Law School of the University of Athens (1973 -1976); he has lectured Civil Litigation at Seminars for junior lawyers organised by the Piraeus Bar Association (1976 – 1996). He has also acted as Associate Professor in the Law of the Sea at the Naval Academy (Class of Coast Guard) 1978-1982; he has contributed as correspondent to Lloyd’s Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly; and was consultant on various marine pollution projects of UNEP, EEC, OECD.
He speaks English and has working knowledge of French and his native language is Greek. He is the author of many articles and books (in Greek and English) including “The International Control of Marine Pollution” (Oceana Publications, Bobbs Ferry, N.York – Sitjhoff, The Netherlands). 1980 2 Volumes pp. lvii + 878 – (Vol. 1 ISBN 0-379-20685-4 (Oceana) and 90 286 0560 6 (Sijthoff) and Vol.2 ISBV 0-379-20686-2 (Oceana) and 90 286 0560 6 – (Sijthoff).
- G.J. Timagenis, Marine Pollution and The Third United Nations Conference on the Law of the Sea: The Emerging Regime of Marine Pollution, (Lloyd’s of London Press Ltd for the Centre for Marine Law and Policy, UWIST, Cardiff) London 1977 pp 75 ISBN O-904093-35-2
- G.J.Timagenis, International Control of Marine Pollution, (Oceana Publications, Bobbs Ferry, N.York – Sitjhoff, The Netherlands). 1980 2 Volumes pp. lvii + 878 – (Vol. 1 ISBN 0-379-20685-4 (Oceana) and 90 286 0560 6 (Sijthoff) and Vol.2 ISBV 0-379-20686-2 (Oceana) and 90 286 0560 6 – Sijthoff).
- G.J. Timagenis and Pr. B. Pavlopoulos, The Law and Practice Relating to Pollution Control in Greece (Graham & Trotman for the Commission of the European Communities) London 1982 xxxiii + 146 ISBN 0-86010-314-5.
- G.J. Timagenis, International Control of Dumping at Sea, The Anglo-American L. Rev 2 (1973) 157-187.
- G.J. Timagenis, Greek Shipping Case Law (Lloyd’s Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly) (1976) 1 LMCLQ.46.
- G.J. Timagenis, Arbitration in Piraeus, (1977) 3 LMCLQ. 319.
- G.J. Timagenis, The Legal Regime of Engines Operating at Sea other than Ships, Revue Hellenique de Droit International 32 (1979) pp 112-124 (Institut Hellenique de Droit International et Etranger – Athens).
- G.J. Timagenis, Protocol for the Protection of the Mediterranean Sea Against Pollution from Land-Based Sources, Hellenic Review of International Relations (HRIR) 1 (1980) pp 123-136 (The Institute of Public International Law and International Relations – Thessaloniki).
- G.J. Timagenis, Arrest of Ships in Greece (1984) 1 LMCLQ. 90.
- G.J. Timagenis, Service of Documents in Shipping Cases under Greek Law (1984) 2 LMCLQ. 275.
- G.J. Timagenis, Admissibility and Enforcement of Foreign Court Decisions and Arbitration Awards in Greece (1984) 3 LMCLQ. 488.
- G.J. Timagenis, Developments in Greek Maritime Law: Legislation, Cases and Bibliography 1983-1984 in I. Arroyo, Yearbook of Maritime Law Vol 1 (1984) Kluwer (ISBN: 90-6544-254-5) pp 205-229.
- G.J. Timagenis, Evolucion del Derecho Maritimo Griego: Legislacion, Jurisprudencia y Bibliografia 1983-1984 in Anuario del Derecho Maritimo, (Libreria Bosch) Vol IV pp 419-429.
- G.J. Timagenis, Recent Greek Court Decisions of Interest to International Maritime Lawyers, Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce (Jefferson Law Book Company USA) Vol 16 (1985) pp 275.285.
- G.J. Timagenis, Waste Disposal, in R. Bernhardt (ed) Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Instalment 9 (1986) pp 401-406 – (Elsevier Publishers – The Netherlands – under the auspices of the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public and International Law – ISBN: 0 444 86240 4).
- G.J. Timagenis – N. Mitsakis “Arrest of Vessels” (March 1992) in Maritime Law Handbook Part I (Kluwer Law International).
- G.J. Timagenis, Shipping Finance in Greece, in Shipping Finance (Special Supplement to the International Financial Law Review published by Euromoney Publications Plc) August 1992, p. 12.
- G.J. Timagenis, Greek Law and Jurisdiction, in Commercial Litigation Yearbook 1993 (published by International Corporate Law) p. 58.
- G.J. Timagenis, Greek Banking Law, in Banking and the Law (special Supplement to the Telerate Bank Register 1993 – published by Euromoney Publications Plc.) p. 76.
- G.J. Timagenis, Listing of Shipping Stock on the Athens Stock Exchange (paper presented at the Conference on Raising Shipping Capital in the International Security Markets, held in New York, N.Y., on February 2nd 1995, organised by The Hellenic-American Chamber of Commerce and the Norwegian American Chamber of Commerce, Inc.), Piraeus 1995, p. 28.
- G.J. Timagenis and M.S. Stamouli, The Athens Stock Exchange – a new source of finance for shipping (Shipping Finance Annual 1996/1997 – Euromoney Publications Plc.) p. 118.
- G.J. Timagenis and M.S. Stamouli, Telecommunication Law Review; Greece (The Tarifica Regulator Issue, 18 March 1997 ISSN 1363-3392) p. 6.
- G.J. Timagenis, Applicable Law and Jurisdiction in Shipfinancing Contracts in Banking and the Law 1997 (Special Supplement to Euromoney Bank Register, 1997), published by Euromoney Publications, p. 33.
- G.J. Timagenis, Protection of the Marine Environment from Pollution in Th.C.Kariotis (ed), “Greece and the Law of the Sea” Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/London/Boston 1997, p.221.
- G.J. Timagenis and M.S. Stamouli, Telecommunications in Greece, Special Report in Telecommunications (Euromoney Publications), 1997.
- “Places of refuge as a legislative problem” (Paper presented at the Bordeaux CMI Colloquium (10-13 June 2003) CMI Yearbook 2003 Part II p. 375 ).
- “Reception facilities for ships in distress” (Paper presented at the 38th CMI Conference at Vancouver Canada (31 May to 4 June 2004) CMI Yearbook 2003 Part II p. 470).
- G.J. Timagenis & E. Konstantinidis “Developments in Greek Maritime Law in 2003-2005” (Il Diritto Marittimo, Fasc. I – 2006, p.288).