Christos Timagenis is an attorney-at-law qualified to practice before the Supreme Court of Greece (“Areios Pagos”) where he advises ship-owners, publically listed corporations, ship-managers, ship-brokers, banks and various other types of financial institutions and investors. His practice focuses primarily on shipping law (sale, purchase, financing and registration of vessels), shipping taxation matters, mergers and acquisitions, joint-ventures, general corporate and commercial law, financial instruments and capital market offerings. Christos is also involved in major shipping and commercial litigation and arbitration cases. He is the author of several articles published in the Commercial Law Review of Greece and is often invited as a conference and panel speaker on shipping finance, corporate and taxation matters.
Christos joined Timagenis Law Firm in 2009 after having worked at the New York office of Wall Street law firm Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, practicing mainly corporate, securities and international finance law. Previously, he has also worked as a summer intern in the capital markets practice group at the London office of Shearman & Sterling LLP.
– LL.M., New York University School of Law (USA), Fulbright Scholarship and Arthur T. Vanderbilt Scholarship (merit-based full tuition scholarship) (2008)
– LL.M., Cambridge University – Trinity College (U.K.), Lizette Bentwich Prize for academic achievement (2007)
– LL.B., University of Athens, School of Law (Greece), grade “Excellent” (“First Class Honours”), graduated as valedictorian (read academic oath) (2006)
– Université de Cergy-Pontoise, Socrates-Erasmus exchange student scholarship (2004)
Attorney-at-Law, Piraeus Bar, Greece (admitted 2009) – Qualified to practice before the Supreme Court
Attorney-at-Law, New York Bar, USA (2009)
New York County Lawyers’ Association
International Propeller Club – Port of Piraeus (Governor – elected for the term 2017-2019)
Hellenic Maritime Law Association
Greek, English, French
Mr. Christos Timagenis is the author of several articles published in the Commercial Law Review of Greece (Epitheorisi tou Emporikou Dikaiou, EEmpD), where he is responsible for writing on recent legal developments in the United States. He has recently published the following articles:
- “The Family-owned Shipping Business” (salient legal issues that often arise in family owned shipping business) published in Greek at “Contemporary Issues of Family-owned Businesses”, by Nomiki Bibliothiki 2016 p. 133 et seq, Lectures from the 25th Panhellenic Conference of Commercial Law.
- “SEC’s Plan for Adopting the International Financial Reporting Standards” in Greek at EEmpD 2008, 3rd issue, p.723 et seq.
- “SEC imposes urgent measures for short-selling” / “Circuit Court decision limiting jurisdiction for ‘Foreign-Cubed’ Securities Class-Actions” in Greek at EEmpD 2008, 4th issue, p.944 et seq.
- “Legislative Efforts for the Recovery of the American Economy” in Greek at EEmpD 2009, 1st issue, p.200 et seq.
- “SEC Proposal for Facilitating Rights of Shareholders to Nominate Directors in Publicly Held Companies” in Greek at EEmpD 2009, 2nd issue, p.492 et seq.