CHAMBERS GLOBAL / EUROPE 2010
Timagenis Law Firm – (Top Ranking – Band 1)
Gregory J. Timagenis – (Top Ranking – Band 1)
Although this 21-lawyer firm offers a broad spectrum of legal services, its roots lie in maritime law. It covers all aspects of shipping law, but is particularly well known for its strength in litigation and its representation of P&I clubs and banks. Senior partner Gregory Timagenis is noted as “a phenomenon lawyer and a walking encyclopaedia of Greek and international shipping law.” Timagenis is well known throughout the market and his “strong reputation attracts top-quality clients.”
The Chambers Global Guide 2010
THE EUROPEAN LEGAL 500 – Year 2009
“What we say about the firm’s legal practice in Greece”
- Shipping Finance
Within Shipping finance, Timagenis Law Firm is a first tier firm,
Timagenis Law Firm has an excellent reputation in the market for shipping finance matters, with name partner Gregory Timagenis considered to be among the top shipping experts in Greece. The firm has been advising German banks on a number of syndicated loans for the financing of newbuildings for Capital Maritime & Trading Corp, as well as on the acquisition of tugboats as part of an M&A transaction.
- Dispute resolution
Within Dispute resolution, Timagenis Law Firm is a first tier firm,
Timagenis Law Firm’s name partner Gregory Timagenis is regarded as an excellent litigator. The firm has a highly respected shipping practice, and also handles commercial arbitration and banking litigation.
- Shipping litigation
Within Shipping litigation, Timagenis Law Firm is a first tier firm,
Timagenis Law Firm has one of the strongest reputations in the marketplace for shipping litigation, with founding partner Gregory Timagenis regularly appointed by the Greek admiralty and maritime courts to act as mediator in finance-related shipping disputes. The team has a strong track record of acting for classification societies and P&I clubs.
Timagenis Law Firm is a reputable shipping firm and handles a number of complex insurance litigation matters for its maritime clients, as well as advising predominantly London-based insurance companies on cargo and shipping insurance issues.
- Banking, finance and capital markets
Within Banking, finance and capital markets,
Timagenis Law Firm’s shipping finance practice is regarded as one of the finest in the marketplace. Capital markets experience includes advising Globus Maritime on its AIM listing.
- Corporate and M&A
Within Corporate and M&A,
Timagenis Law Firm is a reputable shipping firm, which has also been involved in acquisitions in the media sector, as well as acting as legal counsel to EasyCruise since their entry to the Greek market in 2007.
The Legal 500
CHAMBERS GLOBAL / EUROPE 2009
This sizeable firm offers the full range of shipping advice, and its strong financial focus means that it has an outstanding ship finance practice. The firm is made up of 16 lawyers, with founding partner Gregory Timagenis at the helm. He is referred by the market for being “a great lawyer, no matter what area he is dealing with”. Clients from a variety of backgrounds are united in their “total confidence in his ability to ensure a positive outcome.”
Chambers Europe – Greece 2009
THE EUROPEAN LEGAL 500 – Year 2008
In the Legal 500 EMEA 2008 edition, Gr. J. Timagenis Law Office is ranked in six practice areas with a top tier ranking and leading position in Shipping litigation, Ship finance, Dispute resolution, and Insurance.
- Shipping litigation: Gr. J. Timagenis name partner is arguably Greece’s most reputable shipping litigator. He recently acted as the arbitrator in two arbitrations in Greece’s Chamber of Shipping, and is also handling an arbitration in the context of a newly established Piraeus maritime arbitration body. His team’s recent litigation work includes acting on behalf of two classification societies in a high-value law suit.
- Ship finance: Gr. J. Timagenis is well known for asset finance, and for being very active in acting for foreign banks in shipping matters….. It remains a market leader, with name partner Gregory Timagenis known as a ‘fatherly figure among shipping lawyers’ who is ‘well respected and with huge experience’. Recent work includes acting in two transactions for Deutsche Schiffsbank, and syndicate of five international banks, in relation to the $170m financing of Capital Maritime & Trading Corp.
- Dispute Resolution: Gr. J. Timagenis name partner Gregory Timagenis has a very strong, respected and longstanding position in the market as a litigator. In addition to his renowned shipping practice, he also handles general commercial litigation and arbitration.
- Insurance: Gr. J. Timagenis is one of Greece’s leading shipping firms, with a high profile in litigation that includes insurance litigation related to the maritime industry.
- Corporate and M&A: Gr. J. Timagenis is a shipping firm whose corporate work outside the sector has recently involved acting for the buyers of 25% of a television station and three radio stations.
- Banking, finance and capital markets: Gr. J. Timagenis has a market-leading ship finance practice, and also handles banking and finance work outside the shipping sector and in the capital markets, where it acted as Greek counsel on the IPO of Globus Maritime on AIM.
Gr. J. Timagenis Law Office full rankings can be found at the Legal 500 EMEA 2008 website.
The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa 2008
CHAMBERS GLOBAL / EUROPE 2008
The Firm: The team at this prestigious shipping firm is recommended for its commercial and litigation work in the Greek shipping market. In litigation it is best known for passenger and crew claims, representing a number of P&I clubs. In addition, the group is prized for its advice to shipowners who, thanks to the success and sustained liquidity in the shipping market, have started investing in other areas.
The Lawyers: A “brilliant lawyer,” Gregory Timagenis is unanimously endorsed as one of the top shipping experts in Greece. Offering “innovative and lucid advice,” he is a favourite with clients for pure shipping work and for commercial matters relating to the sector.
Clients/Work Highlights: The team advised Globus Maritime and its shareholders on corporate structuring and its IPO on AIM, the first AIM IPO of a Greek shipping firm. The firm also assisted easyCruise with its launch in Greece in May 2007, and acted for FBBank on the refinancing of ferry operator NEL, which ended an earlier dispute between the two parties. Other clients include Blue Star Ferries and Deutsche Schiffsbank.
Chambers Global “The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2008” p.956-957
The Editorial Research Team of PLC Which lawyer? Yearbook 2007 Edition
“Introduction – Methodology”
“……we have included in each country chapter a chart summarising the rankings of law firms recommended in that jurisdiction as leading, highly recommended, recommended or recognized….Our law firm and lawyer recommendations are based on independent research conducted throughout the year. Our sources are:
- Confidential feedback from clients, referral partners, and in-house counsel in around 5,600 companies associated with PLCLaw Department within and outside each jurisdiction we cover.
- Interviews conducted, face to face, by telephone and in writing, by our editorial research team with private lawyers active in those markets.
- Submissions received from law firms during the course of our practice area research.”
excerpt from the Editorial Research Team of PLC Which lawyer?
The Research Team 2007 of Chambers Europe 2007
“How Lawyers are ranked?
“Every year we carry out thousands of in-depth interviews with clients in order to assess the reputations and expertise of business lawyers across Europe. The qualities we look for (and which determine rankings) include technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial awareness/astuteness, dilligence, commitment, and other qualities most valued by the client.”
excerpt from the Research Team 2007 of Chambers Europe 2007
The European Legal 500 – Year 2007
“Introduction – How to use this book”
“…. The research for the editorial is based on the combined opinions of the many lawyers interviewed in each jurisdiction, commentary from clients and analysis of deals or contentious issues reported. ….” (p.9)
excerpt from the “Introduction – How to use this book” of The Legal 500
PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook 2007
Rankings from PLC Which lawyer? – Yearbook 2007 for our Law Firm which appear in the chapter for Greece (p. 3.446-3.449):
- Maritime and Shipping – “Leading firm” (p. 3.448)
- Finance: banking and debt finance – “Highly recommended firm” (p. 3.447)
- Restructuring and insolvency – “Recommended firm” (p. 3.449)
- Corporate / M&A – “Recommended firm” (p. 3.446)
PLC Which lawyer? – Yearbook 2007 (p. 3.446 – 3.449)
Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2007
The Firm: This dedicated shipping practice boasts a “first-class group of people” whose work “always impresses.” Aside from the traditional areas of litigation and shipping finance, lawyers undertake an increasing proportion of corporate/M&A and general finance for industry clients. For example, the team advised Deutsche Schiffsbank on a syndicated loan of USD187 million to tanker and bulk carrier operator Capital Maritime.
The Lawyers: The firm’s reputation rests heavily on that of particularly impressive founding partner Gregory Timagenis. An acknowledged all-rounder, his workload has lately included “a miraculous performance” representing Blue Star Ferries in a bid for assets of collapsed ferry operator Dane. In the words of one admiring competitor, “the legal issues involved were hugely complicated, yet he managed to overcome them with ease.”
Clients/Work Highlights: The team was involved in the NYSE IPO of Diana Shipping and acts for a mixture of P&I clubs, owners and financiers, including Barclays Bank; EFG Eurobank; Elefsis Shipyards; Emporiki Bank; Fortis Bank; Hamburgische Landesbank; Hellenic Mutual War Risks Association; Hellenic Shipyards and Sasebo Heavy Industries.”
Chambers Europe – Greece / Shipping Leading Firms (p. 378)