Yiannis’ practice focus and experience, as a disputes and commercial lawyer, is predominantly in the shipping industry. Yiannis advises a wide range of clients including ship financiers and shipowners, ship suppliers, charterers, insurers and shipyards. He joined the Firm in 2008 after having worked in London with a major city law Firm and in addition to being a Greek attorney qualified to practice before the Supreme Court, he is also a qualified Solicitor of England and Wales
His practice covers a broad area of shipping and general law and civil litigation. He is involved both in dispute resolution and in the transactional aspects of his areas of practice. In the area of dispute resolution, he has been extensively involved in international and domestic shipping and commercial arbitration (including maritime arbitration in London and ICC arbitration) and litigation (including proceedings in Greece and London), and advises clients on all substantive and procedural points of law. His practice also includes coordination of proceedings worldwide and enforcement proceedings in particular on ships in Greece and in other jurisdictions, including advising on the legal and practical aspects on strategy to enforce the lenders’ security or to defend against such enforcement.
Yiannis is also regularly instructed in relation to complex jurisdictional disputes with international aspects, piercing the corporate veil proceedings, emergency asset preservation, asset tracing and recovery proceedings and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards.
The transactional aspects of Yiannis’ practice focuses primarily on asset finance, banking, syndicated lending and commercial contracts with particular emphasis on shipping (sale and purchase of vessels, ship financing, sale and leaseback of ships and bareboat charters, ship and mortgage registration, charterparties, joint ventures, shipbuilding and refit contracts, ship management agreements etc.) as well as OTC derivative transactions, including collateral arrangements subject to documentation published by ISDA. He also regularly advises in relation to the set up, operation and legal structure of Greek and foreign shipping companies in Greece.
Yiannis’ practice includes also advising clients on employment and data protection (in respect of litigation and compliance aspects).
Yiannis has published a number of articles in legal and shipping journals and speaks regularly on various shipping law topics in international conferences and university courses around the world including Athens, Beijing, Buenos Aires, Lisbon, Oslo and Bilbao. Yiannis teaches two courses on maritime law and practice at Deree – The American College of Greece and gives lectures on shipping law topics at the Institute of Charterer Shipbrokers (ICS).
– LL.M., in International and Comparative Dispute Resolution (International and Comparative Commercial Arbitration, International Commercial Litigation, Law of International Trade and Legal Aspects of International Finance), University of London, Queen Mary College (2006)
– LL.M., in Civil Procedural Law, Athens University, Faculty of Law (2005)
– LL.B., Athens University, Faculty of Law (2004)
Attorney-at-Law, Piraeus Bar, Greece (admitted 2006) – Qualified to practice before the Supreme Court
Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales (admitted 2007)
Greek Association of Civil Procedure (Litigation)
The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Hellenic Maritime Law Association
Member of the editorial board of the Piraeus Courts Case Law (Quarterly Legal Overview of the Piraeus Bar)
Greek, English, French
- “The International Regulatory Framework of Civil Liability for Oil Pollution Damage: Liability and Compensation” Conference on “Agia Zoni II: 1 Year after Lessons & Challenges” by BlueGrowth Piraeus and Environmental Protection Engineering under the auspices of University of Piraeus, 10 October 2018, Piraeus (in Greek)
- “Current Shipping Finance Status and Modern Methods of Debt Recovery in Europe”, Shipping International Review, June 2018 (in English)
- “How to Avoid Enforcement of a Ship Finance Loan”, Shipping International Law Monthly Review, June 2016 (in English)
- “Ship Finance and the Crisis 7 Years After: the Effects and the Options”, Shipping International Law Monthly Review, July-August 2015 (in English)
- “The current forces in ship finance”, Shipping International Law Monthly Review, July-August 2014, p.49 (in English)
- “The dilemma after 5 years of ship finance slowdown: Liquidate or Restructure”, Shipping International Law Monthly Review, June 2013, p.20 (in English)
- Contribution to “Greek Law Digest” published by Nomiki Bibliothinki under the auspices of The Hellenic Republic and Invest in Greece Agency, 2012 ed., Chapter on Shipping, p. 356 (also at http://greeklawdigest.gr/topics/transportation/item/68-shipping) (in English)
- “Ship Finance: Enforcement and Bankruptcy, the Last Resorts”, Shipping International Law Monthly Review, Posidonia 2012 issue, June 2012, p. 12 (in English)
- “Enforcement on Shipping Companies by Creditors”, CMI Yearbook 2013, p. 548 (in English)
- “Overcoming challenges in ship finance”, Shipping International Law Monthly Review, May 2011, p.24 (in English)
- “Ship finance alternatives – Shipping Funds”, Shipping International Law Monthly Review, June 2010, p.38 (in English)
- “Drafting Effective Exclusive Jurisdiction Clauses: Standard Bank Plc v Agrinvest International Inc”, Arbitration, Vol. 74(2), 2008, p. 201 (in English)
- “Hot topics in ship finance today”, Shipping International Law Monthly Review, May 2008, p.40 (in English)
- “The Subject-matter of the Civil Trial According to the ECJ Case-law“, Dike International (Hellenic), Vol. 36, 2005, p. 955 (in Greek)
- “Does the Legislator have the Power to prohibit Appeals against Court Rulings?“, Co-author with R. Makri, Dike International (Hellenic), Vol. 34, 2003, p. 891 (in Greek)
- “Managing Effectively Crew Claims”, 6th Maritime Trends Conference by Marine Tours, 5 May 2018, Athens (in Greek)
- “Pre-Bankruptcy Options in Ship Finance” AIJA (Transport Law Commission) Conference on Navigating Through Troubles Waters; Current Trends in International Maritime and Energy Insolvencies, 28-30 September 2017, Bilbao (in English)
- “Loan Agreement Clauses affecting the Financial Condition of a Borrower” EFM (European Financial Management Association) 2017 Annual Conference, 28 June – 1 July 2017, Athens (in English)
- “Current Challenges in Ship and Aviation Finance – Being creative when things go wrong. Considerations, Strategies and Tactics for debtors & creditors facing difficult times.” Panel Discussion at the AIJA (Transport Law Commission) Conference on Current Challenges in Ship and Aviation Financing, 29 September – 1 October 2016, Oslo (in English)
- “Master in Diritto ed Economia del Mare” (“Master in Maritime Law and Economics”), Rhodes 2015 (22-27 June) co-organised by University of Teramo, Faculty of Law and the Aegean Institute of the Law of the Sea and Maritime Law (course taught: Legal issues of Enforcement in Ship Finance Transactions) (in Greek).
- “Maritime Mediation”, ALBA Graduate Business School at The American College of Greece and The Hellenic Federation of Enterprises (SEV), co-organized, with the support of ICC Hellas, a conference on ” Business and Mediation”, 12 March 2014, Athens (in Greek)
- “Pollution Claims by Oil Carried in Bulk”, AIJA (Transport Law Commission) Conference on Limitation of liability, 17-19 October 2013, Lisbon (in English)
- Co-chairing and co-organiser of the Young CMI Session of the 40th Conference of the Comité Maritime International, 14-19 October, 2012, Beijing
- “Enforcement on Shipping Companies by Creditors”, 40th Conference of the Comité Maritime International, 14-19 October, 2012, Beijing (in English)
- Chairing the Young CMI Session of the Comité Maritime International, Dublin Symposium, 29 September – 01 October 2013, Dublin
- “Legal Framework of Marine Oil Pollution”, in the context of an IMO Accredited OPRC Training Course Level 2, 12-15 June 2012, Athens (in Greek)
- Co-chairing and co-organiser of the Young CMI Session of the Comité Maritime International Colloquium, 24-27 October, 2010, Buenos Aires